Tuesday 26 February 2013

I did some shopping...


There are two things in life that I own a lot of; books and DVD’s. I don’t know exactly how many of each I own but I do know that I could probably fill the Blockbuster shaped gap in the market right now, with a little library on the side. I just struggle to say no to them.

I do, however, have rules when it comes to buying books and DVD’s. I will never pay more than £5 for either. I’ve got a few exceptions in my collections, of course, but not many. I could probably count them on one hand.  

That being said, this weekend I bought 2 books and 2 DVD’s. Let’s start with the books first…


Blurb:
“When Harold Fry leaves home one morning to post a letter, with his wife hoovering upstairs, he has no idea that he is about to walk from one end of the country to the other.
He has no hiking boots or map, let alone a compass, waterproof or mobile phone. All he knows is that he must keep walking. To save someone else’s life.”

I bought this book because it sounded like a thriller but a lot of the reviews quoted on it said that it was touching, moving, and sad etc. I also liked the writing style so much I read the first three pages in the shop. In order to test out a book, I read the first paragraph because it helps me work out if I like the style it’s written in and gives me an idea of the book as a whole. It was because of reading the first paragraph that I read the first three pages so I knew I had to buy it.

I started reading it yesterday and I’m thoroughly enjoying it so far. It’ll probably be the centre of next Friday’s blog post.


Blurb:
“Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.”

Having read (and become perhaps a touch obsessed with) “Looking For Alaska”, I knew I wanted to read more of John Green’s work and this seemed like the perfect opportunity because I know so many people have given it glowing reviews. I can’t wait to get my teeth into this! I am slightly worried it might make me cry though.

I bought these books from Asda where they were part of a 2 for £7 deal, making each book just £3.50. If you didn’t want to buy 2 books, however, they’re only £3.85 each which I think is pretty good! Click HERE to see if there's anything that takes your fancy. 

The DVD’s I bought aren’t usually the type of DVD’s I buy – I’m more into action/horror/thriller films. It’s just that they were on offer and I already knew one of the songs from one of them. Plus the lovely Zoella had mentioned the other one recently, I believe. So I figured I’d give it a go.


I watched The Swan Princess on Saturday when I bought it and I think it’s safe to say I fell in love with it. The songs are amazing, the characters are lovely, and ahhhh it was like being a kid again!! I’m still yet to watch Thumbelina but I’m tempted to put it on tonight after Holby City.

I bought both DVD’s from Matalan (can't find them on their website though). The Swan Princess was £2.99 on its own but was part of a 2 for £5 deal so me and my friend picked a DVD each, making it just £2.50. Thumbelina was £2.99 which I think is a bit of a steal!

I did buy one more thing recently too which I’ll give a little mention to…

[One Direction - One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)]

No, I didn't buy the video but I did buy the single... I could say I bought it because it’s for charity but the truth is I bought it because I think it’s awesome. I love One Direction (although this hasn’t always been the case) and think they’re an incredibly talented band. 

I love how much they’ve improved since they first started and, better still, I love that they put their own spin on the cover. A lot of people have moaned about it but I don’t see the problem – yes, the original is great, but so is this version too. They’re just different sounds.

The song is the official Comic Relief single and I think that it's a great choice this year. They've picked the biggest band of the moment to help a fantastic charity!

The single is available now on iTunes now for £1.99 and it's a great way of donating money to a good cause!

So that sums up my Tuesday Treats… 
Have you read any of the books or seen the films? 
What’s been your Tuesday treat?