Sunday 10 February 2013

Book Review: 'A Walk in the Park' by Jill Mansell



Blurb:
“It’s eighteen years since Lara Carson vanished into the night, leaving first love Flynn Erskine with lots of questions – and no answers. He’s stunned by her return to Bath and can’t deny the spark between them. But is there something she isn’t telling him?

Lara’s childhood best friend, Evie Beresford, is thrilled to welcome her back – especially as she’s about to walk down the aisle with her dream man, Joel. But life’s never that simple, is it? Things are about to change drastically for everyone involved. And it all starts on the morning of Evie’s wedding…”

My thoughts:
This is the second book I’ve read by Jill and it’s just as great, if not better, than the first. The way she captivates your attention throughout the entirety of the novel is incredible.  It’s the kind of book that you find yourself convincing that you’ll just read one more chapter before bed, and then another… Until eventually you admit you’re struggling to keep your eyes open.

The characters explored in this book are so enchanting, as are the relationships that are pursued throughout. You find yourself willing particular characters to stop being so silly, wishing you could sit them down and shake some sense into them. However, the way it’s written means that you’ll be delighted with the ending. I must admit, I shed a tear or two.

I read this to and from work on the tube and I had to stifle laughter on more than one occasion but, equally, there were moments where I found myself being touched by a book and having to hold it together on the crowed tube journey. I was utterly absorbed into this book.

The relationship between Lara and Evie, as well as Lara and her daughter are relationships that everybody should experience at least once in their laugh. It also provides optimism for people that feel they’ve lost the one person they’ve ever truly loved and connected with – but it does it in a way that proves love is no walk in the park, hence the name.

I can’t wait to get my teeth into another Jill Mansell novel.