Tuesday 18 December 2012

Top Five... Christmas Films!


It’s that magical time of year again where we’re surrounded by gorgeous decorations, pretty trees, and amazing Christmas songs but this particular blog post is all about the one thing that, in my opinion, makes Christmas (even though I don’t really celebrate it); CHRISTMAS FILMS!

This is going to be my top five Christmas films, in reverse order… Enjoy!

5: The Nightmare before Christmas

I tend to start getting excited about most things Christmassy in November so this film is the perfect way for me to kick-start my excitement. It bridges that gap between Halloween and Christmas perfectly. The film came out in 1994 and I’m genuinely at a loss when I think of what people would watch between Halloween and Christmas before then…

For years, I thought that Tim Burton was the director but, it turns out, Henry Selick is. It turns out that Tim is the producer and writer – which definitely explains why I, like so many, refer to it as a Tim Burton film.

Tim Burton is an incredible talent in the film world and 99% of the films he works on are wonderful. I would say 100% but there’s some that I’ve not seen so I can’t. Everything about this film is amazing – the animation, the script, the songs, EVERYTHING.

Danny Elfman’s musical touch helps to make this such an incredible movie – it’s virtually impossible to watch it and not sing along constantly. (I don’t know if you could tell by now but I will sing along to anything, given the opportunity. I’m singing along to Taylor Swift as I write!)

The movie tells the story of Jack Skellington, who just so happens to be the king of Halloween Town, deciding he’s bored of doing the typical Halloween routine. He ends up finding himself in Christmas Town and is, like most of us, absolutely captivated by the Christmas Spirit and realises that he wants everybody back in Halloween Town to try Christmas out one year but, even with the best intentions, he gets it all a bit wrong.

4: Miracle on 34th Street

There are two versions of this film; the original (1947) and the remake (1994). I’m talking about the 1994 version. People in 1994 were lucky little souls – getting Nightmare before Christmas AND Miracle on 34th Street… Bet they thought all their Christmas’ had come at once!

The first thing that makes this film great is it has Richard Attenborough as part of its cast. He plays Kris Kringle and, having played with all those dinosaurs the previous year, (he was also in Jurassic Park, y’see), he makes the best Father Christmas I could ever imagine. Not least because that would make Uncle Christmas the legend that is David Attenborough!

The casting in this film is perfect. We’ve already touched on the fact it stars Richard Attenborough but the cast also includes Wilma from The Flintstones and Matilda... or Elizabeth Perkins and Mara Wilson, as they’re more commonly known.

The story is set around the little girl, played by Mara, who knows that Santa Claus isn’t real because her mother made that very clear… Or at least she thought he wasn’t. One day, she meets Mr Kringle and becomes convinced that he’s the real deal. She starts to believe and, it turns out, so do thousands of others.

It’s a happy little film to watch with an amazing ending. More than that, it’s brilliant to quote to people too!

3: The Grinch (How The Grinch Stole Christmas)

As I said earlier, I don’t particularly celebrate. I have my reasons for that but basically it means that sometimes I can be a bit of a Grinch myself so this movie is the movie of choice for those moments. I love the way it helps to lift my Christmas spirit when I get in a bit of a grump.

In case you weren’t aware, the film is based on a story by Dr Seuss. In my eyes, the man is a genius. In fact, “Oh, The Places You’ll Go” by Dr Seuss is one of the most inspiring and uplifting things I’ve ever read but I digress…

The film, which was released in 2000, was directed by Ron Howard and stars none other than Jim Carrey who, let’s face it, is one of the greatest actors of our time. The entire film is set in Whoville and is based on the lives of the Whos. Everyone loves Christmas except for the Grinch and the little girl, Cindy Lou, who has a Christmas doubt of her own. The story follows her trying to incorporate the Grinch back into Whoville.
There’s a song in this film that literally has the ability to reduce me to tears if I watch it on a particularly miserable day. When Cindy Lou (played by Taylor Momsen) sings it, it makes me ask myself where Christmas has gone for me too.

I’ll be honest… I watch this film even when it’s not coming up to Christmas. That’s how much I love it!

2: Alllll the Home Alone’s.

I am not like most people who poo-poo Home Alone 3 because it doesn’t star Macaulay Culkin or any of the cast from the first two films. I love it. I love them all. A lot.

The first two are better than the third, there’s no denying that, but I still adore watching them all, back to back, at Christmas time. The first two see Macaulay Culkin being left alone in a bizarre twist of events – the first time round his family literally forget about him and in the second, they lose him at an airport and he gets on the wrong plane - both of which happen around Christmas time. Clearly not the kind of films you’d want to watch if you were thinking about picking up any parenting skills.

Whilst Kevin (that’s Culkin’s character) is on his own, he finds himself having to protect himself from two burglars. In order to do that, he conjures up some cunning plans and ideas which result in chaos and him beating two grown men, physically and mentally.

Part of what I love most about the first two films is that it teaches little kids nice little life lessons like… Pots of paint can be used to smash people in the face with if you think they’re breaking into your house or, perhaps more importantly, that homeless people aren’t your enemy and that they each have their story to tell.
 
As for the third film, this sees Alex (played by Alex D. Linz) suddenly having to protect himself from thieves that are trying to get back a chip that’s hidden in his remote control car. Like I said, it’s not as great as the first two films but it’s still a class film of its own. Alex doesn’t get left behind while his family jet off on holiday, he’s merely left at home with chickenpox whilst his mum gets called into work. Quite frankly, if I could have had this much fun when I had chickenpox, I’d have been a happy child!

1: Santa Claus: The Movie.

When I say Santa Claus: The Movie is my favourite Christmas film of all time people often assume I mean the Tim Allen one… I don’t. I mean the 1985 great that stars Dudley Moore. It’s amazing. I’m pretty sure I’ve watched it nearly every year at Christmas since I was born and I’ll keep on doing so.

The story starts with an old man and his wife delivering handmade toys to the children in the local children’s home. On the way home, him and his wife get caught in a bit of a snowstorm and find themselves being chosen to become the new Mr and Mrs Santa Claus. They get shown to their new house by hundreds of elves and everything is explained to them; how they deliver the presents etc.

One of the elves, Patch (played by Dudley Moore), has great ideas and big dreams. One day, his dreams come true but they don’t work out as he planned and he finds himself working with a horrible toy manufacturer. Don’t worry, though, Santa saves the day!

Whilst the story follows the lives of Mr and Mrs Santa Claus, Patch, and the other elves, it also features a little homeless boy called Joe and shows how his faith in Santa Claus is restored, slowly. It’s brilliant. I love it.

Okay, so the special effects aren’t exactly great now (though I’m sure they were when the film was made), it’s an amazing film and everything about it is magical. I’m getting all excited just talking about it. In fact, I think I’m going to have to go and watch it right this instant!

So there you have it… My top five Christmas films! What would your top five be and why? Merry Christmas, everyone!