Saturday 2 March 2013

Book Review: 'You're Next' by Gregg Hurwitz




Blurb:
“Every family has its secrets. His might get them killed.
‘I know you, don’t I?’ Five words – that’s all it takes to plunge Mike Wingate and his family into mortal danger. Mike doesn’t recognise the crippled stranger who approaches him at a party… but the stranger seems to know all about him.
What has Mike done? Do they have the wrong man? Overnight, the threats become attacks, and Mike, his wife and their young daughter learn they aren’t safe anywhere – especially not in their own home. But there’s no time for Mike to figure it out, because his enemies have killed before – and he’s next.”

My thoughts:
This book has been described as “outstanding” by Lee Child and, I have to say, I agree. I’ve read some thriller books that have been predictable and you can guess every ‘twist’ that occurs – that’s not the case with this book. It’s a rollercoaster ride of emotions and the characters are written in such a way you actually grow to hate the bad guys and become almost attached to Mike’s family and friends.

Two characters stood out for me and they were Mike’s daughter, Kat, and his friend, Shep. There’s something about them, a certain strength, that I admire and envy. Aside from the basic thriller element, this novel manages to encapsulate the beauty of certain relationships.

There’s enough description for you to pictures certain scenes without it becoming too much (like they are in American Psycho). Unlike some thrillers, it’s not too complicated to follow. It’s written in such a way that it flips (occasionally) between ‘Then’ and ‘Now’, in order to build the story and strengthen the characters. This might sound a bit confusing but, I promise you, it’s not.

It was chosen to be part of Richard and Judy’s Book Club – I don’t know much about the other books read but, if this is anything to go by, they must be pretty great. I’d never heard of Gregg Hurwitz before I read this book but I’m determined to read more of his stuff.

What’s your favourite thriller?